Saturday, November 21, 2009

Powerhouse


We don't even need to watch the 4 minute and 16 second video clip of Tom jumping on chairs and making weird hand gestures can we just focus in on the Oprah Winfrey crowd gone crazy? While a lot of the screaming has to do with Tom being on the show, this sort of reaction isn't unusual for a taping on her show. She is the ultimate powerhouse and now she is leaving television come fall of next year. What are all these middle aged women who act like oprah is their best friend, who look to her for advice and opinions on about any all topics to do? Yes she has her daily television shows but she does more in the world. She helps out the poor and during President Obama's election she went political. She spoke in front of thousands of people talking about the serious matters in our country and expressing her support for our current President Barack Obama.


Oprah has done it all. I think you know where I stand on this woman. I am in favor of her. She is a strong woman and I have nothing but respect. She has become one of the most successful women in my opinion. She has one of the top rated program of her kind in all history and the richest African American of all time.  But I don't want to go on and on about this woman. I just know she is powerful woman and the fact that she isn't going to be on the air much longer isn't that upsetting. In the New York Times it said she is going to team with Discovery to create her on television channel where she will most likely have some kind of talk show in it.  There hasn't been that many details as to what the channel will entail but should Oprah really be all that sad?


She's only going to go onto something bigger, her on T.V. station. 
It just amazes me how one person can have that much influence on the public. She has her own magazine which hundreds of thousands subscribe to. She has her own book club. She makes little known authors become famous. People go ou and read books on her book list not because they have heard a ton of great reviews by other people but because Oprah said ti was good, it must be worth reading. People watch her on TV, other famous celebrtiies have nothing but respect for Oprah. If you were to say the name Oprah, everyone knows exactly jsut who you are talking about. People have a lot of power, more power than one realizes. As journalists we too have an immense amount of power. We can control what is news, what is printed in the papers, how things are written and stories are presented. We have so much power and freedom given to us, we must use it to our greatest capacity.

1 comment:

Bird said...

I really wish I could replace Oprah. I know that that only my mom and my beagle would watch it, but what an awesome job she has. She has whoever she wants to interview right at the tips of her fingers.